Canadian Institute for Health Information
CIHI needed a new plan for reaching their audiences. bv02 conducted a digital audit and developed a strategy to create a more engaging digital presence.
The Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) is a not-for-profit organization that specializes in providing information on Canada’s health systems, services and the overall health of Canadians. They provide data with the intent of improving Canada’s health systems. CIHI’s vision is “Better data. Better decisions. Healthier Canadians.” And their mandate is “to deliver comparable and actionable information to accelerate improvements in health care, health system performance and population health across the continuum of care.”
In preparation for a digital transformation, CIHI needed a thorough digital strategy. It was especially crucial that CIHI gain in-depth insight before doing any reorganization because of the nature of their services. Given their influence in the health services industry, any changes made would have the potential to affect Canadians in a variety of different ways.
bv02 was brought in by CIHI to conduct a digital audit. This included engaging internal and external stakeholders, and conducting a thorough evaluation of CIHI’s web properties, web governance model, how the site is used, most and least important content, strengths and weaknesses of the current site, and benchmark features for the new site. In order in ensure accuracy of the–findings and to gain valuable insight into CIHI–bv02 also conducted 60 hour-long interviews with various stakeholders of CIHI, spanning a diverse spectrum of positions and organizations.
What bv02 discovered was that CIHI needed to treat its web presence as a core product. They needed a unified vision for their web presence, and a web strategy that is clear and has a defined guide for success.
From these findings, bv02 established a vision of what CIHI should seek to achieve with its digital properties:
- Establish CIHI’s digital footprint as their core product and the most valuable strategic asset through the use of a highly interactive online data environment and easy access to information.
- Align CIHI’s business objectives with web objectives in order to create consistency and to eliminate fragmentation.
- Respond to user needs via user research and user testing.
- Fully implement web strategy into strategic and operational plans.
- Spread responsibilities for web content across the organization. Ensure everyone is abiding by a concrete governance strategy that will result in a consistent and unified experience.